7.29.2008





Dig Dug is one of my all time favorite games and I jumped at the opportunity to put my spin on this classic game for the upcoming "I am 8-bit" show. Growing up my family did lots of road trips and whenever possible we would stay at a Holidome. This was a Holiday Inn with an indoor pool, miniature golf course, and arcade. Sometimes they were bigger and more extravagant and sometimes they were very simple. Either way they almost always had a Mrs. Pac-Man and Dig Dug. My dad and I would spend hours on the Mrs. Pac-Man machine and I would then jump on the Dig Dug machine and drop a few dollars. I am by no means "King of Kong" good at any of these games because I also had an interest in fresh air and girls. Last year I was lucky enough to find a perfect condition full standing Arcade version of Dig Dug for $300 at our local Thrift store. SCORE!!! Ever since Silver Spoons I have always wanted arcade games in my house along with a train and duck phone. So far I only have one arcade game. My next mission is to add Mrs. Pac-Man and Galaga to my collection. Then the search for the duck phone begins.

The look of Dig Dug was a perfect fit for collage. Layers of pixilated earth! I used dirt, paint, tissue paper, cardboard, sand, rootbeer cases, coffee cozies, colored scrap book paper, and a lot of glue on top of canvas to create the final look of these pieces. The horizontal canvases are 12X40", and the vertical pieces are 20X24". Long live Dig Dug!!!

Labels:

14 Comments:

At 10:27 PM, Blogger Ed said...

Do you buy the paper you use or do you find it from scraps ?
How many hours a day are spent creating your pieces? Do you find yourself getting lost while making them?

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Ed said...

Forgot to mention, amazing pieces

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger The Butcher said...

Eddie,
It is a combination of bought papers and found papers. I pick up scraps of paper everywhere I go as well as cardboard boxes. I work on these pieces a few hours each day. Once I build up one layer I need to let it dry overnight to actually know how all the transparent colors play off of each other. These particular pieces consist of somewhere between 15-20 layers. The beauty and enjoyment in working in this way is the fact that I get lost in them. No matter how familiar I get with the different papers and how they play off each other I am still pleasantly surprised by how each layer directs me to the next step.

Thanks for the feedback.
-Ben

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Tanner said...

Excellent job Ben!! That pixelation effect looks pretty damn cool. I'm jealous that you've got the Silver Spoons arcade started. That was every kid's goal in life. Way to live the dream!

 
At 12:28 PM, Anonymous Ron - DDG said...

Love Dig Dug. I can still hear the music!

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Jeff Harter said...

Dig Dug? Dang! Those are the games I grew up with. Ever play Defender or Star Castle? Think they were around at the same time.
The thing I dislike about arcades nowadays is the lack of variety. It's either shoot 'em up or racing.

 
At 1:30 AM, Blogger Jesse Jordan said...

I totally agree with Jeff. I liked Joust, personally.

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger Dan Thompson said...

wow. beautiful stuff.

 
At 2:11 AM, Blogger Ry's Photo Blog said...

These are awesome Ben. Makes me miss the 80's. Sorry I missed the show....I'm sure these were a hit.

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger Eric Hutchison said...

Wow! That is so cool, Ben! After watching "SS" in my adolescence, I always dreamed of getting an assistant that looks like Erin Gray, circa '83. But the duck phone was cool too.

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger Vince M. said...

Do you ever prick yourself when you're cutting all of this stuff up?

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger 珊珊李 said...

徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信,徵信社,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信,徵信,徵信,徵信,徵信社,徵信

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Eva Melgarejo said...

Me encantan!!!! son Maravillosos!!!!
Eva
www.evamelgarejo.com.ar

 
At 11:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

酒店 台北酒店
酒店兼職 打工兼差 酒店工作
禮服店 酒店經紀
酒店上班 酒店兼差 酒店PT 酒店打工

 

Post a Comment

<< Home