12.12.2008






When I entered kindergarten the kids took an assessment test to better understand where each child was in their development process. One of the items was to draw a picture. I drew a man in a plaid vest. This caught the teachers attention and she spoke with my parents and explained to them that I had a strong visual awareness . I guess you could say this is when "creativity" took a hold of my life. Unfortunately the teacher kept all the tests so all I have to go by is my mothers description of what the drawing looked like. She remembers it very vividly which is nice. A few months ago Disney Consumer Products held a creative camp. Yeah, I still don't know what that means either. There was a pre-assignment to generate a piece of art that demonstrates the moment when creativity chose you or you chose creativity. At first this seemed like a ridiculous assignment that must have been drawn up by some non-creative. Turns out that non-creative who drew up this idea was none other then John T. Quinn. I guess that "T" in his name makes him sound important or something. After telling John what a dumb idea this was he informed that he came up with it. It is all good though because John worships me and could never have a bad thought about me ever. :) Once I pulled my foot out of my mouth and promised John I would put forth my best effort, I decided to take my moment in kindergarten and make a story out of it. Nothing too complicated just a simple story about the man and the people, places, and animals around him. Oh yeah, they are all plaid. I included the cover, the plaid dog and two spreads from the book.

Labels:

19 Comments:

At 10:37 PM, Blogger Ed said...

A great piece, love it. You should have it published because I want a copy.
It`s amazing how you put into it in such little time.

The "T' is for Tibirius.

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Ed said...

How much you put into it.




OOPS

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger John T. Quinn 3rd said...

eddie's right. this needs to get published so, i can have a copy. it's brilliant and a joy to behold.

oh and, for years people would ask "what's the T for, Tiberius?" i never knew what that meant 'cause i was never a trek fan. how would i know?

and last, it's true i do worship you. you are are nature's greatest miracle.

may i call you "Yahweh"?

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger Christian Robinson said...

Hello Ben,

Did you ever know that you're my hero,
and everything I would like to be?
I can fly higher than an eagle,
'cause you are the wind beneath my wings.

No! but seriously I was in complete admiredum ( It's a word) when i looked through " The Man in the Plaid Vest". It's a beautiful book and i know if and when it gets published, it will become a classic and win one of those Caldecott medal things that go on the really special children's books: )

I hear that you will be taking some much deserved time off soon. Well i hope you and your loved ones spend some good quality time with each other.

Happy Holidays

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger The Butcher said...

Thanks for the love everyone.

Ed, I have no plans on publishing it. It was just a fun little project.

John, Yahweh sounds pretty good. I hope it was clear in my post that my jabs at you were purely sarcastic. Working at Pixar is an amazing privilege and I am constantly amazed by the level of talent in every corner, but I doubt I will ever meet an artist better than you. There are so many ways you have inspired and made me a better artist. Turns out that assignment idea was the highlight of Creative Camp. Thanks for creating such an interesting project for us all to bring with.

Christian, Thank you for the nice words. Yes, I am heading out for a month to refresh my creative juices. I hope you have a wonderful holidays. When I get back we need to start working on that art swap. I look at the small flower piece you made for me every day. When you get a chance, ask Kat why she is so grouchy lately. :)

-Ben

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Stéphane Kardos said...

Do you and John want a room?
Man Love xx

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger samacleod said...

These are great! What an awesome idea for a book!

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger The Butcher said...

Steph,

I only ever dream of having a dark room all alone with you for some French man love. XXOO

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger jonathan said...

these are awesome!

 
At 3:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yet another reason you have always amazed me, i would love to see this in person. I cant wait till we get a chance to come your way! I cannot imagine the amazingness that is yet to come. :)

Tabitha

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Jeff Harter said...

Very touching story.

Love the Alligator and the patterning. Are these left over fabric scraps from Leanna's collection?

Nice job.

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Jeff Harter said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger Stéphane Kardos said...

Good, I've booked a small shack for us in Big Bear, we can cuddle, I'll even drink mountain dew for you!
x

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Kyle Poling said...

simple yet very cute, love the plaid

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Kamal said...

I love it.

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger Craig Mackay said...

Fantastic concept and execution. I'd love to read this to my two boys.

 
At 3:30 AM, Anonymous Wow Gold said...

WOW Gold, World of Warcraft Gold - Buy WOW gold at our shop, fast delivery of WoW gold and unbeatable prices make us so popular within the World of Warcraft community!

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger 珊珊李 said...

徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信,徵信社,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信,徵信,徵信,徵信,徵信社,徵信

 
At 11:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

酒店 台北酒店
酒店兼職 打工兼差 酒店工作
禮服店 酒店經紀
酒店上班 酒店兼差 酒店PT 酒店打工

 

Post a Comment

<< Home