10.09.2010



I recently had the privilege of participating in an art swap with the amazing Tia Kratter. If you are not familiar with her work then you should pick up some of the "art of" books from past Pixar films. She is one of the superstar colorists and painters at Pixar and has done some beautiful work for such films as "A Bugs Life", "Monsters Inc." and "Cars", just to name a few. My favorite work of hers is from "A Bugs Life" All the rich color, design and lighting studies she did for the film are absolutely amazing. Check them out. You won't be disappointed.

She and I decided to do an art swap after a recent art auction held at Pixar. It was such an amazing show and all the work was so good that the prices kept climbing higher and higher. This was a good thing as it helped the auction reach it's goal and then some. In the process of viewing the work we decided it would be a fun project to each create a piece of art for each other working from the same theme. The them we chose was "Through the Tunnel". This is because we both live on the other side of the Caldecott tunnel. The imagery and landscape is quite beautiful and offers a nice change of scenery from Emeryville each night on the way home, and on the way in each day. In some cases the temperature can change 20 degrees. It is quite amazing.

The image I created was from my memory of what it feels like when I just exit the tunnel onto the eastern side and the sun is hitting the hills just pass the tunnel. The play of light and dark along with the traffic is something I really enjoy. It was a lot of fun to create this piece and even more fun when I received the amazing painting Tia created for me. Truly one of the highlights of our house. I highly recommend art swaps. When done right it should bring the best out of you and in return you will get the best of someone else. What better way to stay inspired and driven to continue to grow as an artist.

This piece was created entirely out of various papers and cardboard.

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 10:30 PM, Blogger Stéphane Kardos said...

MAGNIFIQUE!!!

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger TREVOR Simonsen said...

Love it!

 
At 5:16 AM, Blogger Lucas Ferreyra said...

This is AWESOME!!!

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Hilary Neidhart said...

What kind(s) of adhesive(s) do you use? What about preservation -to keep the colours stable and so on.
I love these, btw!

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Alina Chau said...

Beautiful!! Great design!!

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger LeDidole said...

I really love the contrast between forground and background...
Very very nice...

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger The Butcher said...

Thanks everyone for the nice compliments.

Hilary, I use Aleene's Super Tacky glue and Modge Podge. In terms of preservation, the layers of Modge Podge create a pretty good seal over all of the paper. Sometimes I will spray a Crystal Clear over them when I am finished but not always.

Ben

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Kevin Stanton said...

Wow, this is phenomenal. It's so painterly and graphic at the same time!

 
At 4:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG Ben! I saw this and immediately knew where it was, and it brought back a flood of memories of my childhood. Thanks so much for posting, you made my day. You are an amazing artist.
chantel

 
At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Vanesa said...

Hello,
I´m editor in Linea Curve Magazine. I´ll like to write you about a collaboration in our magazine. Please contact me in vanesa.leon@lineacurve.com

Best regards

 

Post a Comment

<< Home