5.16.2011



Recently I was asked to contribute a piece of art to accompany a large Mary Blair Centennial show that will traveling around Japan over the next two years. It will be included in a section showcasing contemporary artists who have been inspired by her in their artistic journey. Who hasn't been inspired by the wonderful and brilliant designs of Mary Blair. She is absolutely amazing and has created a body of work that rivals any great artist or designer throughout history.

When thinking about what kind of image I would create for this project I kept going back to the mural and Small World designs that Mary created. All the different approaches to shape, pattern, and design inspire me every time I look at them. Using that period of work as the backdrop, I decided to create an image of the Seattle Skyline. I wanted the piece to be recognizable as something I created but with a clear nod to Mary Blair and the playful way she used shapes and pattern. The dimensions of this piece are 12"X36".

It was an absolute honor to be asked to contribute to such an amazing show. I can't wait to see all of Mary's work together in one place along with all the amazing tribute pieces created especially for this show by artists from all over the world. If you are going to be traveling to Japan in the next few years I suggest tracking down the location of this show and checking it out.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 8:28 AM, Blogger John T. Quinn 3rd said...

Great job Ben!

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Munchanka said...

Awesome, I love the blending of sky and mountains. Adds a nice foggy feel.

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Dam Ferreira said...

Very nice

 

Post a Comment

<< Home