9.12.2011




This Saturday at Gallery Nucleus there will be a show celebrating the release of a new book on the "It's a Small World" illustrated by Joey Chou. The book is absolutely beautiful and to celebrate it Gallery Nucleus has put together a show of "Small World" themed art. I was asked to contribute and was extremely excited about the prospects of creating a piece around this theme. The ride itself is one of my favorite rides at Disneyland and I always leave the ride inspired by the shapes and colors. I decided to work around the theme of San Francisco and the Bay Area. I wanted to grab some moments that you may not normally associate with Small World but that to me encompass the daily routines that we all go through regardless of who we are, what we look like, or where we are from. We all need to commute, we can all enjoy a baseball game, and we can all enjoy a glass of wine. These are slightly older themes but ones that I thought would be fun to include into this piece. The Bay Area is filled with millions of wonderful and beautiful things so I just focused on the ones that popped into my head first. The piece is made from a mixed selection of papers. It is roughly 23" X 30".

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 8:46 AM, Blogger Dan Thompson said...

beautiful!!

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Daniel Woodling said...

Inspiring and wonderful!

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger Christian Robinson said...

Genius!!! It turned out wonderful Ben, what a great theme too. I was really fun to take in the different shapes & colors and to allow my mind to put everything together. I love the bart at the Bottom, that's what I 1st noticed that made the theme clear to me.

I'm so honred to be in the same show as you mentor :O)

 
At 9:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben, did you grow up in University Place, Washington?

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger Leeanna Butcher said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger scrumptious delight said...

OMGosh! Ben and Leeanna you are both so talented!
Beautiful work!!

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger pakoto said...

OMG! really beautiful.. chapeau!

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger The Butcher said...

Thanks everyone for the nice compliments. This was a fun project to work on.

I did in fact grow up in University Place.

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Tim Blair said...

Really nice piece! I was pleasantly surprised to see your name added to the list of Nucleus Gallery artists for the upcoming show.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home